Hedgehogs need to be able to roam far and wide in search of food, mates and nesting sites - the average hedgehog roams 2km a night! Get together with your neighbours to make a hole in your fence or dig a channel beneath garden boundaries to connect your gardens.
You will need:
- A fence panel
- Coping saw
Most importantly your neighbours' cooperation! Keep an eye out for neighbours doing work on their gardens, or using fencing contractors - this is the perfect opportunity to get a hedgehog hole put in!
Building your hedgehog hole:
- If your neighbour is happy, remove a fence panel.
- Measure and mark a 13cm x 13cm hole at the bottom of the panel.
- Using the coping saw, cut out the marked hole.
- If there are very rough edges, use sandpaper to smooth them down
- Put your fence panel back. Your hedgehog highway is now open for business!