Tree Works and Tree Hazard Surveys

Oak tree, Yvonne Seaman 1/1

Conservation Areas and Tree Protection Orders

Works to trees in Conservation Areas or those with Tree Protection Orders (TPOs) require a Tree Works application to local planning authorities before they can be conducted. The application is similar to applying for planning permission, but it is a specialist area with a different legal basis.

When considering work that requires a Tree Works application we will inspect the trees, including conducting aerial inspections if required. We will then discuss any requirements prior to the application being made and works carried out. Using the relevant guidance, the British Standard BS3998:2010 ‘Tree Work – Recommendations’, we will make recommendations that ensure any tree works employ best management practices to achieve the best outcome for the trees.

NWS will liaise with a council’s tree officer to ensure everything goes smoothly with a Tree Works application.  

Advice on Tree Hazard Surveys

Concerned over your Duty of Care over a tree or worried about the safety of a tree you own? Then we can conduct a Tree Hazard Survey for you.

All tree owners have a legal responsibility to manage risk to others and their property from trees e.g. from falling trees or branches. Tree owners need to assess the level of risk involved and this is generally based on:

1.    The level, extent and type of access that people have to the land where the tree stands or where branches could fall.
2.    The condition and health of the tree.

We can advise on how regularly trees should be re-inspected for potential hazards and can set up a system for estates and others to record, monitor and manage for their tree hazards.

As part of the inspection, we can also advise on mitigating hazards by taking practical actions or undertaking tree works.

Where Tree Hazard Surveys result in works requiring a Tree Works application, NWS provides the evidence to support and specify works to be carried out.