What A Waste

Blog post by Maya Riches (guest author, age 10) on 01 May, 2019

Book Review: What A Waste by Jess French

This is a wonderful book that shows us what we’re doing wrong and how to change it. Jess tells us how much waste we are creating and throwing away - such as food waste, packaging and water bottles.
What A Waste, by Jess French

What A Waste, by Jess French



The book tells us what different things are made of and if we can recycle them. My school is recycling crisp packets and pens and I have started using bars of soap, shampoo and conditioner rather than bottles.

I have learnt that only 10% of waste comes from our homes and the other 90% from places such as factories, shops and building sites. This makes me think that companies need to do more as well as individuals. I have already written to some companies to ask them not to wrap their food in plastic.

Amazing fact: Only tiny amounts of gold are used in laptops and phones but between 2018 and 2078 we will have thrown away enough gold to build a solid gold Eiffel tower!

1 in 9 people in the world are going hungry while we waste one third of our food. I have a recipe book which helps you make things from out-of-date fruit and vegetables, such as banana bread and vegetable soup.

This book made me happy because even though it was about all the waste that gets thrown away it shows ways that we can change what we do. I would recommend it to any child who wants to change the world.
 
 
[Header image by Terry Whittaker/2020VISION]
Share this

Latest Blog Posts

Corncrake at Thorpe Marshes Corncrake at Thorpe Marshes
by Chris Durdin on 29 Jun, 2020
Norwich Nature Notes – June Norwich Nature Notes – June
by Roger and Jenny Jones and Jon Shutes on 23 Jun, 2020
Blyth's reed warbler Blyth's reed warbler
by NWT on 12 Jun, 2020
Norwich Nature Notes – May Norwich Nature Notes – May
by Roger and Jenny Jones on 21 May, 2020
Thorpe Marshes: A refuge in lockdown Thorpe Marshes: A refuge in...
by Chris Durdin on 06 May, 2020
Random Acts of Wildness Random Acts of Wildness
by Helen Baczkowska on 04 May, 2020
Deciphering the dawn chorus Deciphering the dawn chorus
by Nick Acheson on 30 Apr, 2020
Norwich Nature Notes Norwich Nature Notes
by Roger and Jenny Jones on 21 Apr, 2020
Incredible insects Incredible insects
by Tom Hibbert on 08 Apr, 2020
Working from home Working from home
by Helen Baczkowska on 23 Mar, 2020
Crafty Creations Crafty Creations
by Maya Riches (guest author) on 05 Mar, 2020
Signs of spring at Thorpe Marshes Signs of spring at Thorpe M...
by Chris Durdin on 27 Feb, 2020
Notes from the Wild Notes from the Wild
by Nick Morritt on 14 Feb, 2020
Volunteering at the Raptor Roost Volunteering at the Raptor ...
by Maya Riches on 11 Feb, 2020
Identifying dabbling ducks Identifying dabbling ducks
by The Wildlife Trusts on 29 Jan, 2020
Three swans a-swimming … on the path! Three swans a-swimming … on...
by Chris Durdin on 17 Dec, 2019
Rewilding Norfolk: Wild thinking and wild ideas (Part 3) Rewilding Norfolk: Wild thi...
by David North on 07 Dec, 2019
Rewilding Norfolk: Wild thinking and wild ideas (Part 2) Rewilding Norfolk: Wild thi...
by David North on 30 Nov, 2019
A wet day in November A wet day in November
by Chris Durdin on 29 Nov, 2019
Rewilding Norfolk: Wild thinking and wild ideas Rewilding Norfolk: Wild thi...
by David North on 23 Nov, 2019
A season of engagement at NWT A season of engagement at NWT
by Georgie Lake on 12 Nov, 2019
25 years of support 25 years of support
by Ellen Kinsley  on 09 Nov, 2019
What tangled webs we weave What tangled webs we weave
by Robert Morgan on 31 Oct, 2019
October at NWT Thorpe Marshes October at NWT Thorpe Marshes
by Chris Durdin on 29 Oct, 2019