East Wretham Heath was established as a nature reserve by the Norfolk Naturalists Trust in 1939, and is among the largest and most varied of important wildlife sites in Breckland.
The two remarkable fluctuating meres are found only in the Brecks and support a number of rare species. The reserve also includes a substantial area of heath, as well as mature woodland, scrubland and open water with marshy grassland.
A large part of the reserve was ploughed during World War II and farmed for almost twenty years, but is now grazed by sheep and rabbits and is slowly reverting to grass heath.
Click here to download the reserve leaflet for points of interest (0.5mb).
Open Access, but walkers must observe reserve signage and information as restrictions (no dogs) apply in some areas (Compartment C4). In other areas please keep dogs on a short lead March-July to avoid disturbance to ground-nesting birds. Outside this period walkers are requested to keep dogs under tight control or on a lead to avoid disturbance to livestock when present.